MARY ELIZABETH RINALDI
Member and Director of Tax Controversies
Highly Respected Maryland Tax Attorney – Member and Director of Tax Controversies
Mary Elizabeth Rinaldi is recognized throughout the Maryland/DC region and across the nation as a leading tax law professional. She combines a keen awareness of IRS policies and procedures with an advanced understanding of tax laws and regulations to advise taxpayers worldwide. Ms. Rinaldi is well known for taking an innovative and forward-thinking approach to resolve sophisticated tax law controversies effectively and efficiently.
Ms. Rinaldi counsels and advices a diverse group of clients, including individual taxpayers, professional athletes and entertainers, small and mid-size corporations, start-up enterprises, banks and financial institutions, trusts, partnerships, and other entities spanning the globe. Her practice encompasses a broad scope of national and international taxation matters, ranging from civil tax audits and criminal tax investigations, to IRS disclosure requirements governing offshore accounts and foreign assets. She also frequently works with clients to settle sensitive, high stakes controversies involving tax fraud, accounting fraud and money laundering.
Ms. Rinaldi is highly knowledgeable in the rules and procedures governing civil and criminal tax controversies and frequently represents clients in matters pending before the IRS, the Department of Justice, U.S. Tax Court, U.S. District Courts and state taxing authorities. She also works with high-net-worth individuals, families and business owners to develop wills, trusts and other estate planning documents that protect their assets and pass their wealth down to future generations.
Unique and Important Perspective
Ms. Rinaldi offers clients a unique perspective as to how tax controversies and disputes are handled by the IRS and other government authorities. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Rinaldi served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Laurence J. Whalen of the United States Tax Court and as trial attorney for the IRS. Her work within the IRS and the U.S. Tax Court allows her to advise and navigate clients through sensitive, high stakes investigations, administrative appeals and civil and criminal tax litigation.
Admitted to Practice
- District of Columbia
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- M., Taxation Law, Boston University School of Law
- D., University of Miami School of Law
- A., Boston University
- Member & Active Contributor, American Bar Association
- Member, ABA Section of Taxation’s Civil & Criminal Tax Penalties Committee
- Member, ABA Section of Taxation’s Court Practice & Procedures Committee
- Member, ABA Section of Criminal Justice’s White Collar Crime Division
- Member, Civil & Criminal Tax Penalties Task Force
- Member, Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Task Force
- Judicial Law Clerk, The Honorable Laurence J. Whalen, United States Tax Court
- Trial Attorney, Internal Revenue Service